Hip Arthroscopy: Day 7 Post-Op

I finally figured out a way to lessen the problems I’ve been having in the morning!  I slept on the couch last night, which is softer than my mattress.  This meant that when I woke up, my whole body wasn’t stiff, which was a welcome change.  Unfortunately, it means I’ll probably be sleeping on the couch for a while, but I think it’s worth it to feel better in the morning.

In other news, I have scaled back on the Percocet a bit.  I was taking it around the clock for the first 5 days (4 doses of 2  pills per day, 8 in total), but I cut out the middle-of-the-night dosage a couple days ago, and now I’m taking one pill instead of two each time (for a total of 3 per day now).  Hopefully, this will help with some of the side effects, while still keeping my pain levels low.

Through 7 days, I haven’t moved my hip much – moving around my apartment, and going from sitting to standing and back has pretty much been it.  I was told by the surgeon and the nurse to be careful so that the repaired labrum would have time to heal, but it’s hard to be so patient.  I’m not in pain, but I don’t really feel any different than I did right after surgery.   I sort of want to call the nurse and ask, “So…when does it start healing?”  I guess there’s a reason my follow-up isn’t for three weeks after surgery.

Other notes from the first week:

  • I “returned” to work on Monday (Day 6).  I am lucky enough to be able to work from home when I need to, and in this case, I certainly need to.  I’m not sure I’d be ready to go back to the office, as that just seems like too much work (putting pants on, getting someone to drive me there since I can’t yet, walking from the parking lot to my desk, etc.).  Without the option to work from home, I think it would probably be two weeks after surgery before I returned to work.
  • I know I’ve said it before, but I can’t stress it enough – if you are having this surgery, make sure someone will be with you for at least the first few days.  I don’t know how I would have managed without Erin around.  I feel self-sufficient in ~80% of the things I need to do, but for the other 20%, having someone to help is invaluable.

Are you recovering from surgery for FAI or a torn labrum, or considering it?  I’d love to hear how you’re doing – feel free to post a comment or question below!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s