Hip Arthroscopy: Week 7.5 Post-Op

Over the past few days, I’ve spent more and more time without crutches.  I still walk with a noticable limp, but I think it’s getting better, and I can stand/walk unassisted for longer.  In fact, I showered without crutches for the first time today (graduated from the shower stool to standing with crutches at 6 weeks).

One thing I’ve noticed, is that on days when I move more, my hip actually feels better in the evening.  On Monday and today (Thursday) I went to work and ran an errand or two, which required a little bit of walking.  Each of those evenings, I felt like I was walking around my apartment pretty well.  Tuesday and Wednesday, on the other hard, I worked from home and walked very little, and felt much stiffer moving around the apartment in the evening.

I have to say that going from weight-bearing to walking normally has taken longer than I expected.  However, I’ve been able to stay positive because I do feel myself getting stronger and more flexible (even if it is slow), and I haven’t experienced any significant pain from walking or PT.  Except for when the therapist massages the incision, that still stings like a *@&$#!

Are you recovering from surgery for FAI or a torn labrum, or considering it?  I’d love to hear how you’re rehab is going – feel free to post a comment or question below!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Hip Arthroscopy: Week 7.5 Post-Op

  1. I have undergone months of pain and discomfort in boths hips during exercise- regular Irish dancer (train around 6 times a week), swimmer and runner. I went through different doctors, PT sessions and being incorrectly diagnosed a few times, to try and find a cure for my pain. After around 2.5 months I was referred to a consultant who after examinations, X-rays and MRI’s in boths hips discovered I had FAI and labral tears bialaterally. Yesterday I met with my consultant and we discussed different treatment methods- Injections & surgery. Being only 15 (16 in September) he said he would initially recommend the injections to mask the pain and then surgery later on. This being because surgery carries the risk of damaging the fusing bone, therefore resulting in my hips growing in an abnormal shape, resulting in a pelvic tilt ONLY if any more growth was to happen, however the chances of futher growth in my hips are only at 2%- so extremely low. I just don’t want to wait until after my GCSE’s to have the op (when there would be no chance of any growth). I would rather take the opertuntity with the break in school, 6 week summer holiday, and get it done quickly & sorted; the injections would not actually solve the labral tear or the underlying problem of FAI, just the initial pain for certain amounts of time. I just wondered what your opinion would be and what you think I should do as I’m quite literally stumped!
    Thankyou, Megan.

    • Hi Megan,

      I’m not a medical expert of any kind, but it sounds like you’ve got a tough decision to make! If you trust your surgeon, I think listening to their advice is always a good idea. But at the end of the day, it is your hip, and you should do what you think is in your best long-term interest.

      Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do!

      Brian

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s